Rats and rodents prove to be very dangerous when they enter your home. They are the host of the bacteria, salmonella, and carry it on their body. This bacterium gets spread when rats and rodents feed on your food and certain other substances in your home.
Here, are a few tips that would certainly help you to keep away rats and rodents from entering your home.
- Cracks and gaps in the exterior of your home are considered to be the entry paths for rats and rodents. In order to keep them away from your home, it is advisable to keep them sealed with caulks or expandable foams.
- Keep baits and other pest food in your garage. These attract rats and rodents, thus, keeping them away from entering your home.
- Store food items in air tight glass containers and keep them away from the reach of rats and rodents.
- Rats and rodents get attracted to dirt and dust, thus disposing of garbage on a regular basis and keeping your home clean will help you to get rid of them without any hassle.
- Cover up the vents of your cooling system and chimney, as rats like to jump into your home through these openings.
- Locate mouse traps in the areas where you doubt infestation of rats and rodents. Be careful to keep them away from pets and children.
- Cut down shrubs and tree branches from reaching your rooftops.
- You can also try using peppermint oil on cotton balls. Keep them on the entry paths of rats and rodents. This works as a great repelling agent.
- Bedding area and wardrobes are easy breeding areas of rats and rodents. So, it is a must to wash your garments and bed sheets on a regular basis.
- Check for leakage in your water pipes or faucets. Get them replaced on a priority basis to keep your home away from the infestation of rats and rodents.