How To Repel Carpenter Bees Naturally Both Indoor And Outdoor
Carpenter Bees belong to the genus Xylocopa in the subfamily of Xylocopinae. These are the largest type of bees distributed worldwide. These black coloured bees are large, sturdy and shiny. Some species also have yellow markings on their heads that confuse them with bumble bees.
Carpenter bees are traditionally called solitary bees, some bees have simple social nests in which mothers and daughters may cohabit. These bees make their nests by tunneling into the wood and then vibrate their body as they rasp their mandibles against the wood. Woodpeckers feed on the carpenter bees. They get attracted to the noise of the bee larvae and according to that they drill holes along the tunnels in order to feed on them. Other flies like, maggots, lay eggs in the entrance to the bee’s nest and live off the bee larvae.
If you want to get rid of the carpenter bees both from the outside as well as inside follow these few steps:
- No Buzzing : Firstly, eliminate the adult male that buzz near nests by treating the holes with the help of a quick knockdown spray.
- Right Direction: In order to flush out and destroy all female bees, the aerosol must be directed into the holes.
- Apply Dust: With the help of a Centrobulb Duster apply dust deep into the gallery.
- Seal the Nesting Holes: Seal the nesting holes completely, being aware that there’s no bee larvae present in the hole.
- Painting Your Home : Paint your home and keep the pain in nice condition, this works as a great solution to repel carpenter bees.
- Almond Oil : Bees can’t stand the smell of almond oil. Pour some of it around and in the holes as well as nest of the carpenter bees. This remedy works for 3 to 4 months.
- Boric Acid : Place boric acid traps around the nests of the bees. Boric acid is proven to be efficient in most cases.
- Diatomaceous Earth : Special powders made of fossilized diatom algae can be sprayed into the holes and nests of the bees after they have left. Once they return back to the hole, they get covered with the powder and soon die.